Search This Blog

Vegan Whipped Cream

This is made with coconut cream and is easier to make than regular whipped cream. Don't expect it to expand like the dairy version, but it mimics the texture, exactly. It is delicious, but does have a distinct coconut flavor. You may want to inform your guests before they wonder what that strange flavor in the whipped cream is. I promise, though, it's GOOD!!!

Ingredients
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (NOT LIGHT)
2 tablespoons (about) dark agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon corn starch

Equipment
can opener
stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment or bowl and hand mixer

rubber spatula

liquid measure shot glass
dry measuring spoons

Directions
1. Put the unopened can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. (I usually leave it in overnight.)
2. Open can and scoop out only the cream that has risen to the top. Discard the coconut "water" or use for another purpose.
3. On high speed, whip the cream until tracks show where the beater has been.
4. Scrape down with a rubber spatula.
5. Add the remaining ingredients, one at a time, scraping down after beating each one in.

Yields about 1 cup

© 2009 by Allison Lattman

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds good!

I hadn't thought of adding corn starch... does it stabilize the bubbles?

I made my version (on my blog) with a bit of soy creamer added to thin it down and make it easier to whip.

Allison Lattman said...

Agentminty, thank you for your comment.

Corn starch stabilizes the whipped cream so that it holds up longer.

I add corn syrup to my regular whipped cream to achieve the same effect.

Kate said...

I just made this, and it's awesome! It tastes delicious. Thank you!

Joanna Swan said...

Allison,
Bonnie from Sweet Life Bake sent me your link, and boy does this look amazing.
Thanks so much for the vegan excellence!
Joanna @ Stoveless

Allison Lattman said...

Thank you, Joanna and Kate, for your comments. And thanks to Bonnie from Sweet Life Bake for passing the link along!

Ellie said...

Hi Allison! I'm going to be making vegan gluten free pumpkin pie for a friend this weekend, and am eager to try your recipe so we can top it off with whipped cream!
I was just wondering, can I use caster sugar instead of agave nectar? I'm living in Australia and agave is very hard to find.
Thanks!
Ellie

Allison Lattman said...

Ellie, of course you can use sugar as opposed to agave. Just sweeten it to your liking. Let me know how it turns out. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison, Thanks for a great alternative to dairy. I'll be making it with yacon syrup for a low glycemic version. Be well! Mary