This is the perfect salad for fall. Jam packed with nutrients and color. The key to getting the most out of the beets and carrots is NOT to peel them, but to just scrub the skins with a nylon scrubber under cold running water.
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
fine sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 beet, scrubbed and root and stem end removed
1 carrot, scrubbed and root and stem end removed
1 Granny Smith apple, quartered and cored
2 6-ounce packages baby greens (arugula, spinach, romaine, etc.)
1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
extra virgin olive oil
food processor fitted with shredding blade
1. In a small bowl, wisk together the lemon juice, grated ginger and salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In the food processor, shred the beet, carrot and apple.
3. Put shredded mixture in medium bowl and toss with lemon-ginger mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Just before serving, mix greens and walnuts with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle olive oil over and toss.
5. Put greens on plate and top with shredded mixture. Drizzle some juice from the mixture on top. Serve.
2009 by Allison Lattman