3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 small onion, cut into chunks
1 large onion, diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
3 large eggs, beaten
¼ cup whole wheat matsah meal
canola oil, for frying
fat free plain Greek yogurt, for serving (optional)
applesauce, for serving
brown paper grocery bags
food processor fitted with bottom chopping blade
dry measuring spoons
dry measuring cups
1. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add oil and let heat up. Sauté large diced onion until just beginning to brown. Drain on a brown paper grocery bag and put in large bowl.
2. Grate potatoes and small onion in processor fitted with the chopping blade, adding a little onion each time you add potato to help prevent browning.
3. Squeeze potato-onion mixture through cheese cloth and add mixture to the sautéed onions and mix.
4. Add salt and pepper and mix.
5. Mix in beaten eggs and matsah meal.
6. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. The pan is ready when droplets of water “dance” on the surface.
7. Add ¼ inch oil to pan and heat. Drop mixture by small spoonfuls.
8. Fry until golden brown around the edges. Flip and fry an additional 1-2 minutes until cooked through.
9. Drain latkes on brown paper grocery bags.
10. Serve immediately with fat free Greek style plain yogurt and applesauce.
Yields about 30 2-3-inch latkes